Sunday, August 19, 2012

Review: Shadow and Bone(the Grisha trilogy #1)

Title: Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy #1)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Published: June 5, 2012
Pages: 358
rating: 5 out of 5

Goodreads synopsis:Alina Starkov doesn’t expect much from life. Orphaned by the Border Wars, the one thing she could rely on was her best friend and fellow refugee, Mal. And lately not even that seems certain. Drafted into the army of their war-torn homeland, they’re sent on a dangerous mission into the Fold, a swath of unnatural darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh.

When their convoy is attacked, all seems lost until Alina reveals a dormant power that not even she knew existed. Ripped from everything she knows, she is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling. He believes she is the answer the people have been waiting for: the one person with the power to destroy the Fold.

Swept up in a world of luxury and illusion, envied as the Darkling’s favorite, Alina struggles to fit into her new life without Mal by her side. But as the threat to the kingdom mounts, Alina uncovers a secret that sets her on a collision course with the most powerful forces in the kingdom. Now only her past can save her . . . and only she can save the future.


Fate's thoughts: i absolutely loved this book! It was original and a refreshing break from the paranormal and contemporary.

Alina is an orphan that that has a hidden power that even she doesn't know about. she never really fit in even in the orphanage with her best friend Mal, and especially not in the first army where she serves as a mapmaker. In her world uniquely powerful people named Grisha serve the kingdom of Ravka. One day while trying to save Mal she unleashes a very strong ability: the ability to summon sunlight. after that she is taken to the Darkling where she learns many things including betrayal and a plan that could destroy Ravka.

The characters were amazing. Alina was a bit naive in the beginning but she grew into a strong heroine. I loved The Darkling the twist at the end made me a little sad but i wont give anything away. Ahh, Mal the love interest turned best friend. i loved him, and i cant wait to see more of him in the next book. i also like Genya. She was kind of a friend for Alina. 

I loved the writing. the descriptions were so good that i could almost imagine myself there. and the romance was so good! Especially at the end it was so adorable.
Quote said by Mal:
""I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself just walking around to find you, not for any reason , just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me why we don't belong together," he said fiercely."
Also:
"The moment our lips met, I knew with pure and piercing certainty that I would have waited for him forever."
It was SO good. i don't even know why i haven't read it sooner. i recommend it to any YA reader. its worth it.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment